Thursday, September 13, 2012

What do People think I'm saying

I've been painting 28 years. When I first painted wildlife I had time to promote my work. I entered art contests, joined wildlife groups, made contacts and participated in art shows.  It was hard work but I did make progress commercially.  After a while I spent more and more time working in my tax office and less time promoting art.  I didn't stop painting.  I always paint. I have paintings stacked up in closets, storage and in my family members homes.  Most of my pieces are professionally photographed. In the past the photographer took photos and I would order a copy negative, transparency, slides and prints.  Now the paintings are photographed, laser color corrected, and burned to a cd.

This is a transparency of a painting that is no longer available to me for digital photos.

Bears - Oil on Canvas  by Laura Curtin

A few weeks ago I was talking to my photographer and he told me he may go out of business. He isn't getting work he needs to keep the doors open. How terrible for him, his family and the artists that use his service. Today I called him to see if I could bring him negatives for digital copies and two paintings I've never had photographed.  I also wanted to pick up the Panda's I brought him last week and drop off the new painting I just finished. He told me he had to replace his sink and garbage disposal at home and wasn't sure he would have much time this week.  Next week his daughter is coming with the grand kids and he's not sure when he can get me the digital files.

It seemed like he was saying he has more important things in his life than photography and his business. I am going to conduct a serious search for a new photographer.  This one is going out of business.

What I want people to hear from me is; your business is important to me. I will work hard to provide great customer service. If you order anything from me I will get it out to you as soon as possible. If you have questions I will answer them timely.  I want my business to grow and only you can make that happen. 


Beach - Photography  by Laura Curtin

Dan and I have been very active promoting my artwork.  We've built the Etsy store and we're developing an online presence with the help of social media. Dan is rebuilding my website so that it operates on all the different devices available at this time.  I'm writing blogs, posting on facebook, pinning photos and curating a online newspaper for artists. You get the idea. I'm new to this type of promotion and I'm sure I have volumes to learn before I ever sleep soundly again.   

Thanks for reading.
 

PURCHASE 8x10 painting prints, holiday & birthday cards!

I am helping to support a great animal rescue center with portions of my sales from my Etsy sales site.  I am giving 10% of all sales to this fantastic animal rescue center.


Forever Wild Exotic Animal Sanctuary

http://foreverwildexotics.org/

Visit my personal portfolio website:

http://www.LCurtin.com

Thank you for stopping by, hope to see you back soon.



Follow us on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment